Monday, July 13, 2009

From Day to Day

Members of the Peulh population held a masked dance in my village. I was entertaining a representative from World Vision when Banta came running to find me, out of breath and breathing hard: "There's a masked dance! Come Quick!" Good thing we hurried, the dancers could not be seen after sunset.

Aissa has a month of vacation from her work at the clinic. Her daughter, Tata, has come to visit, along with her three children. Aissa is relaxed and spends her time napping and ordering Tata and the grandkids around. Above, we sat around dranking tea while Aissa worked on taking the tight braids out of her granddaughter's hair.
Banta makes her living selling cookies: namti and dedegé, made with rice, millet, peanuts and sugar. I have become her apprentice and she swears that once I return to America, I will make millions selling Banta's own cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment